Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Altec 821A Cabinet Project

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The reason that I am posting the photos is to help others avoid the same mistakes that I made and give them some ideas. I will be cutting the wood for the other horn this Saturday at school. I will also cut some wood for external bracing of the horns. I will post photos as the project progresses.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am back. Winter always slows the progress on my projects. We have had quite a bit of snow this winter and it is cold so I cannot work on my cabinets out in the driveway. My space in the basement is very small and my time at the woodworking class at the Tech. School is limited. Remember that I have started over because nothing was square after my first attempt. This time I build forms to stabilize the horn assemblies while gluing. There is a stable base screwed to 2x4's. The forms are mounted to the base with 1/4" bolts into tee nuts. The holes for the bolts are slotted so that they my be adjusted to match the dado joints in the sides of the horns.

    form

    I temporarily screwed the horn ribs to the forms. I chose this method instead of using clamps as the screws hold the pieces together better. I used 4 screws. One in approximately each of the 4 corners of the ribs. I will later fill these holes with wood filler.

    formandribs

    I spread glue on one edge of each horn rib and placed the horn side onto the ribs. I nailed the horn sides every 1". Note that the horn side extends beyond the ribs. I will mill the excess off with a router.

    oneside

    Detail of inside corner.

    corner

    Finally a picture of both sides glued to the 3 ribs.

    bothsides

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    bothhorns

    <center>Picture of both new horns.</center>

    side

    <center>Picture of side of one horn.</center>

    millededge

    <center>Picture of milled edge.</center>

    edge

    <center>Picture of top edge.</center>

    The next step will be to secure the bottom of the cabinet and the center divider of the cabinet to the horns. I will then mill the side edges of the horns to be flush with the edge of the cabinets. I will take photos of the milling operation. I mill with a router. Each step is a new learning experience. I am pleased with my second attempt at making the horns. By bolting the pieces to the temporary frame and then gluing, everything is square. Note the excess Gorilla Glue. I am going to leave it there as it adds additional strength and it is on the inside of the cabinet and will not be seen. I added ribs to the rear of the horns to reduce the ringing of the horns. I will also insulate the back side of the horns with fiberglass.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The weather is now nice again so I have started working on the cabinets outdoors at home. Yes that is snow in the background. I am still making the parts at school and assembling them at home. I glued the bottom of the cabinet to the horn assembly and the divider to the top of the horn assembly. I milled the front corners.

    beforemilling

    <center>Front corners before milling. Bottom view of cabinet.</center>

    millingsetup

    <center>Temporary milling setup with router.</center>

    millingcloseup

    <center>Milling setup closeup.</center>

    aftermilling

    <center>After milling the corners.</center>

  5. #25
    Hostboard Member misterdwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How are they coming along. In your last set of photos the cabs looked like they were going to be great.
    DwayneB

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The cabinet with all of the bracing installed. Note the cabinet is upside down in this picture.

    upsidedown

    This is a photo of one of the walnut sides being glued onto the cabinet. Guess what is in the cardboard boxes that I am using for weights.

    walnutside

    This is a photo of the tops.

    tops

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Update to front photo.
    front

    Update to inside photo.

    inside

  8. #28
    Hostboard Member misterdwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Lookin Good!!

    Whats in the boxes?

    A: 288's forums Y/N

    DwayneB

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Correct. 288K's. They are the heaviest things that I could think of to hold the wood down as it was being glued.

  10. #30
    Hostboard Member misterdwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2004
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How are the cabs doing?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.